Friday, September 28, 2007

Spinach Dip

Thanks to Nanny, I was inspired to make my own spinach dip. I got the main recipe from cooks.com however I've modified it slightly. It's fast, delicious, and costs less to make it yourself than to buy it already made. If you're looking for something to bring to a party, you can create a bowl using a loaf of pumpernickel bread. Cut the top off the loaf and hollow it out, keep the pieces from hollowing it out for dipping, then fill the "bowl" with dip. If you're wanting to match it with a different kind of bread, try it with ciabatta bread; the texture and taste of the ciabatta bread are fantastic with the dip (better than pumpernickel in my opinion)!

Ingredients:
  • 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed (do not use fresh)
  • 1 1/2 c. sour cream (fat-free works well)
  • 1 c. mayonnaise (I use a Hellman's light mayo)
  • 1 (4 oz.) pkg. Knorr vegetable soup mix
  • 1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional but I love the texture of the water chestnuts in it)
Preparation:

Squeeze spinach until dry. In medium bowl, stir together spinach, sour cream and soup mix. Add finely chopped water chestnuts if desired. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

2 comments:

falora said...

Here's a tip for you, Elaine! If you take this same recipe, add a block of cream cheese and some shredded chedder, heat it in the oven, and then dip your bread in it, it is even more heavenly!!

Elaine said...

Mmmmm sounds good Kelly. I'll have to try it sometime! :-)